Saturday, January 22, 2011

Other People's Blogs

As previously mentioned, I like thrift shops. One thing that frustrates me, though, is that I am not very good at finding anything there except books. I'm a bookhound; I can find the one weird, old, or unique book in the usual sea of Grisham and Steel and textbooks and romance novels and the inevitable copy of The Cross and the Switchblade. But when I try to browse the clothing or the junk, I'm lost and I find nothing. My mom walks into a thrift shop filled with mugs and ash trays and emerges with a little wooden box with a secret compartment or a piece of good silver jewelry with a simple but beautiful design. My sister sails out with insane clothing bargains, including the boots I've been searching for all year. (Which I then stole. She's forgiven me; after all, she found new ones the next week.)

In the same way, I'm horrible at finding stuff online. I tend to visit the same three sites, blogs and forums over and over. But today I actually went out looking for blogs with horse book entries. The results are below - some are recent, some are older, some are more about art or nostalgia than straight reviews.

WestEnd Talk
Artist Anne Bialk writes about her interest in horse and art.

Reading Tween
A kid's-eye book review of The Pony Whisperer by Janet Rising

Whitebrook Farm's recent review of Misty Of Chincoteague was a rare foray back to an old book for the blog, and worth reading just for this crack:

Paul and Maureen have been thrown at the Beebes because their parents are gallivanting around in China (for what seems like five and a half years), only their parents have made a crucial error. The Beebes own horses. Not only do they own horses, they live on Chicoteague island, an island packed with ponies. An island packed with ponies that holds annual pony festivals where they basically give these ponies away to any kid who mows enough lawns during the summer.

There is no way those parents are getting their kids back.
The Broke And The Bookish reviews a Young Adult fantasy, Behind The Mist by M.J. Evans. I'm not a fan of horses in sci/fantasy (maybe I've just never read one I liked) but many people seem to, and it does seem properly horsey:
Another thing that stood out to me about this novel was that you can really tell that Evans loves horses, and I especially loved that. There are times when a person is so passionate about something and you can just feel it in their words or what they say. Evans' passion absolutely shines through the pages, much in the same way that the power of love shines through Nick and Jazz. If you love horses, you will love this book, without a doubt.
Eva's Book Addiction reviews Pegasus by Robin McKinley.

Any Good Books/Mixed Reviews looks at The Horse Boy (nonfiction) by Rupert Isaacson.

Christian Children's Book Reviews examines early reader book Andi's Pony Trouble by Susan K. Marlow, which sounds kind of sweet. Also reviewed at My Precious Peas

Home School Book Review isn't enthused about Pony Farm Mystery by Pamela Kavanagh (it's from the Pony Club series, so I can guess it's not very good.)

Dovegreyreader Scribbles on Fly By Night by K.M. Peyton.

Mutterings And Meanderings on book hoarding and the Jill books.

The Wrath of Lilith on pony books as a mildly embarassing (secret shame) thing. Much enjoyed for this line:
Ah, old English books about rosy cheeked children dashing about having adventures on horse back and going to pony club rallies, hunter trials and gymkhanas.
Also the Pat Robertson quote on the blog header. Oh, Pat.

At the blog Komalius, the author reflects on her childhood love of horses, horse books, and being given the book How To Draw Horses by Walter T. Foster, which immediately struck a chord with me as horses are the only thing I really can draw, having had years of practice as a hopelessly wistful wannabe horse owner.

At The Boswellians, another reflection on childhood horse love, complete with photos, including one that made me sit up and think "That's my Merrylegs!" And if I end up spending the night digging out my box of Breyer models just to find my very own version of Anna Sewell's charming children's pony, I know who to blame.

On the Collector's Quest blog, one woman recalls her discovery, at a used book sale, that the Black Stallion books she grew up with originally had different covers:
I paid my 50 cents (my, this was a while ago now!), and I think I whinnied with excitement.
And, finally, ReRider Who's Learning To Cope looks at the male mentor character in horse books, from stern-and-right Michael in Summer Pony to Max in the Saddle Club books.

3 comments:

Libby said...

Hi - I just found your blog while trying to find a book I read as a child in the 70's. It was a chapter book and I can't remember the title but it was about a girl who was hiding a horse at an abandoned horse camp. I thought I found it when I came across Marion Holland's book The Secret Horse. But that wasn't it. Can you think of what it might be?

Sarah said...

Welcome! One possibility is "A Horse For XYZ" by Louise Moeri. It was published in 1977. The plot sounds somewhat similar - the heroine sneaks off her home-bound bus at the end of summer camp so she can finally ride a forbidden horse. When horse thieves arrive, she rides the horse into the mountains and they hide out, sometimes using camping shelters. It was reviewed on this blog here:

http://ponybookchronicles.blogspot.com/2008/08/horse-for-xyz-louise-moeri-1977.html

Good luck finding your book!

libby said...

Thank you - I think that is it - I am excited to read it again. There was someting about camping out with a horse that really appealed to me. I ave been searching and searching but with so little to go on - was having a hard time - thank you again!